资源描述
精品教育
Lesson 19 Sold out 票已售完
'The play may begin at any moment,' I said.
'It may have begun already,' Susan answered.
I hurried to the ticket office. 'May I have two tickets please?' I asked.
'I'm sorry, we've sold out,' the girl said.
'What a pity!' Susan exclaimed.
Just then, a man hurried to the ticket office.
'Can I return these two tickets?' he asked.
'Certainly,' the girl said.
I went back to the ticket office at once.
'Could I have those two tickets please?' I asked.
'Certainly,' the girl said, 'but they're for next Wednesday's performance. Do you still want them?'
'I might as well have them,' I said sadly.
New words and expressions 生词和短语
hurry v. 匆忙 ticket office 售票处 pity n. 令人遗憾的事exclaim v. 大声说
return v. 退回 sadly adv. 悲哀地,丧气地
参考译文
“剧马上就要开演了,”我说。“也许已经开演了呢,”苏珊回答说。我匆匆赶到售票处,问:“我可以买两张票吗?”“对不起,票已售完。”那位姑娘说。“真可惜!”苏珊大声说。正在这时,一个男子匆匆奔向售票处。“我可以退掉这两张票吗?”他问。“当然可以,”那姑娘说。我马上又回到售票处。“我可以买那两张票吗?”我问。“当然可以,不过这两张票是下星期三的,您是否还要呢?”“我还是买下的好,”我垂头丧气地说。
1. Sold out 票已售完
sell [sel] v., n.
v. (sold, sold [səʊld] ) (opposite: buy bought , bought)
1.~sth. (to sb.) (at/for sth.) / ~sb. sth. (at/for sth.) to give sth. to sb. in exchange for money出让;转让:
e.g. [vn, vnn] 我把我的汽车转让给了詹姆斯,获得800英镑。
I sold my car to James for 800 pounds. I sold James my car for 800 pounds.
[vn] 他们把公司卖掉,赢了利/赔了钱。
They sold the business at a profit/loss (=they gained/lost money when they sold it).
[v] 我们开了好价钱,但他们不卖。We offered them a good price but they wouldn’t sell.
2. [vn] to offer sth. for people to buy出售;售卖:
e.g. 你这儿卖邮票吗?Do you sell stamps? 出售保险 to sell insurance [inˈʃuərəns]
3. to be bought by people in the way or in the numbers mentioned; to be offered at the price mentioned销售得…;卖出…;售价是…:
e.g. [vn]这种杂志一周售出30万册。The magazine sells 300,000 copies a week.
sell well畅销 sell badly 滞销
这部戏的票卖得很好/不好。The tickets for the play sold well/badly.
The new design just didn’t sell (=nobody bought it).新款式无人问津。
sell for +价格 以…价格出售 sell at +价格 以…价格卖出
e.g. 这个花瓶至少要卖5000美元。The vase will sell for 5000 dollars at least.
今年,洋白菜的价格很高。Cabbage is selling at a high price this year.
4. [vn] ~sth./yourself (to sb.) to persuade sb. that sth. is a good idea, service, product, etc.; to persuade sb. that you are the right person for a job, position, etc.推荐;推销;自荐;自我推销:
e.g. 应聘面试的时候,你真得推销你自己。You really have to sell yourself at a job interview.
Phr.v.
1. sell sth. off
1) to sell things cheaply because you want to get rid of them or because you need the money甩卖;抛售;变卖(get rid of sb./sth. 摆脱;丢弃;扔掉)
2) to sell all or part of an industry, a company or land出售,卖掉(产业、公司或土地):
e.g. 教堂卖掉了那块地皮,用来盖房子了。The Church sold off the land for housing.
(house [hauz] vt.1. 给(某人)提供住处 2.收藏;安置 housing n. 1. [u](统称)住房,住宅 2. [u] 住房供给)
2. sell out / be sold out (of tickets for a concert, football game, etc.音乐会、足球赛等的门票) to be all sold售完:
e.g.几小时内票就卖光了。The tickets sold out within hours.
所有的票被卖光了。All the tickets have been sold out.
3. sell out (of sth.) / be sold out (of sth.) to have sold all the available items, tickets, etc.售空,卖光(某种商品、门票等);脱销:
e.g. 抱歉,我们的面包卖完了。I’m sorry, we’ve sold out of bread.
我们卖光了所有的票。We’ve sold out of all the tickets.
先生,星期天的报纸已经卖完了。We are sold out of Sunday newspapers, sir.
seller [ˈselə] n.
1. a person who sells sth. 卖者;销售者;卖方:opposite: buyer [ˈbaɪə]
e.g. 卖花人 a flower seller
这项法律意在保护买卖双方。The law is intended to protect both the buyer and the seller.
2.a good, poor, etc.~ a product that has been sold in the amounts or way mentioned(畅销、滞销等的)商品:e.g. 畅销的商品 a good seller 滞销的商品 a bad/poor seller 畅销品 a best seller
IDM: a seller’s market 卖方市场
selling point n. a feature of sth. that makes people want to buy or use it卖点(吸引顾客的产品特色):e.g. 显然,价格低是一大卖点。The price is obviously one of the main selling points.
selling price n. 销售价
sale [seil] n.
1. [u, c] an act or the process of selling sth.出售;销售:
e.g. 汽车/服装/商品的销售 the sale of cars/clothes/goods
2. (sales) [pl.] the number of items sold销售量
3. (sales) [u] (also sales department [c]) the part of a company that deals with selling its products销售部
4. [c] an occasion when a shop/store sells its goods at a lower price than usual特价销售;廉价出售;大减价:
5. [c] an occasion when goods are sold, esp. an auction([ˈɔ:kʃən] n. 拍卖;竞卖;标售)销售活动;(尤指)拍卖
IDM:
1. for sale available to be bought, esp. from the owner待售;供出售(尤指从主人手里)
e.g. 待售的房子 a house for sale 抱歉,这个不卖。I’m sorry, it’s not for sale.
2. on sale
1) available to be bought, esp. in a shop/store(常用于商店)出售,上市:
e.g. 售票处正在售票。Tickets are on sale from the booking office.
新款下月上市。The new model [ˈmɔdəl] goes on sale next month.
2) (esp. AmE) being offered at a reduced price折价销售;减价出售:
e.g. 所有商品今明两天降价出售。All goods are on sale today and tomorrow.
salesman n. 男售货员;男推销员 e.g. 汽车推销员 a car salesman
saleswoman n. 女售货员;女推销员
2. 'The play may begin at any moment,' I said. “剧马上就要开演了,”我说。
1) may begin 是一种可能性的判断
e.g. 客人们马上就要来了。The guests may arrive at any moment.
这天气随时都可能下雨。It may/might rain (at) any moment.
must+原形 指比较肯定的判断
e.g. 你一定是玛丽,我见过你的照片。You must be Mary. I’ve seen your picture.
cannot+原形 指否定性的判断
e.g. 你不可能是玛丽,她已经出国了。You can’t be Mary. She has been abroad.
may+原形 指可能性的判断
e.g. 她可能是玛丽,但我不确定。She may be Mary, but I’m not sure.
2) at any moment=at any time 随时 at this moment=now 此时此刻 at that moment=then 那时
3. 'It may have begun already,' Susan answered. “也许已经开演了呢,”苏珊回答说。
may have begun
1) may have done 对过去事情的一种可能性判断
e.g. 它可能被偷走了。It may have been stolen.
2) must have done 对过去事情的一种肯定性判断
e.g. 我找不到我的包了,它一定是已经被偷了。I can’t find my bag. It must have been stolen.
3) can’t have done 对过去事情的一种否定性判断
e.g. 玛丽经过我身边没有说话,她一定是没有看到我。
Mary walked past me without speaking. She can’t have seen me.
4. I hurried to the ticket office. 'May I have two tickets please?' I asked. 我匆匆赶到售票处,问:“我可以买两张票吗?”
1) hurry [ˈhʌri] n., v.
n. the need or wish to get sth. done quickly匆忙;急忙:
e.g. 悠着点—不用急。Take your time—there’s no hurry.
我匆忙动身,忘了带护照。In my hurry to leave, I forgot my passport. [ˈpɑ:spɔ:t]
慌什么?火车还有一个小时才开呢。What’s the hurry? The train doesn’t leave for an hour.
IDM:
1. in a hurry (=adv. quickly, hastily [ˈheɪstɪlɪ] adv. 匆忙地,仓促地, hurriedly匆忙地,迅速地)
1) very quickly or more quickly than usual迅速;赶快:
e.g. 他不得不赶快离开了。He had to leave in a hurry.
2) not having enough time to do sth.仓促;匆忙:
e.g. 对不起,我现在没时间管这个----我忙着呢。
Sorry, I haven’t got time to do it now---I’m in a hurry.
我们匆忙地赶到车站。We went to the station in a hurry.
如此地匆忙 in such a hurry
2 in a hurry to do sth. impatient to do sth.急于做某事:
e.g. 我女儿恨不得一下子就长大。My daughter is in such a hurry to grow up.
你为什么如此迫不及待地要卖出?Why are you in such a hurry to sell?
3. in no hurry (to do sth.) / not in a/any hurry (to do sth.)
1) having plenty of time有足够的时间,不着急(做某事):
e.g. 我可以等着---我没什么特别急的事。I don’t mind waiting---I’m not in any particular hurry.
先招待这位女士吧---我不急。Serve this lady first---I’m in no hurry.
2) not wanting or not willing to do sth.不想,不情愿(做某事):
e.g. 我再不愿去那里了---那里吃的东西糟透了。
I won’t be going there again in a hurry---the food was terrible.
v. (hurries, hurrying, hurried, hurried)
1. to do sth more quickly than usual because there is not much time赶快,匆忙,急忙(做某事) synonym: rush
e.g. [v] 不要着急,(我们)有大量的时间。Don’t hurry, there is plenty of time.
如果你想赶上那趟火车就得抓紧时间了。
You’ll have to hurry if you want to catch that train.
我匆忙地赶到售票处。I hurried to the ticket office. (hurry to sp. 匆忙赶到某地)
我匆忙地赶到学校。I hurried to school.
孩子们急忙打开礼物。The kids hurried to open their presents.
在英语口语中hurry可与and及所连接的另一个动词连用,而不和to所引导的不定式连用,尤用于告诉某人快点干某事:
e.g. Hurry and open your present—I want to see what it is!
2. [vn] ~sb. (into doing sth.) to make sb. do sth. more quickly催促(某人) synonym: rush
e.g. 我并不想催你,但我们再过二十分钟就要关门。
I don’t want to hurry you but we close in twenty minutes.
我们已经迟到了,我必须催促你了。We are late, I must hurry you.
她在催迫之下作出了不明智的选择。She was hurried into making an unwise choice.
3. [vn] [usually passive] to do sth. too quickly仓促(做某事) synonym: rush
e.g. 美餐绝不能狼吞虎咽。A good meal should never be hurried.
Phr.v.
1. hurry on to continue speaking without giving anyone else time to say anything 喋喋不休;啰嗦得没完没了
2. hurry up (with sth.) to do sth. more quickly because there is not much time赶快,急忙(做某事):
e.g. 快点!我们要迟到了。Hurry up! We’re going to be late.
快点用刀子。我需要用。Hurry up with the knife. I need it.
3. hurry sb./sth. up to make sb. do sth. more quickly; to make sth. happen more quickly催促(某人);使早些发生:
e.g. 你能不能设法让我点的东西快点送来?Can you do anything to hurry my order up?
hurried [ˈhʌrid] adj. [usually before noun] done too quickly because you do not have enough time匆忙完成的;仓促而就的:
e.g. 匆匆忙忙的一顿饭 a hurried meal 一个仓促的婚礼 a hurried wedding
hurriedly adv. =in a hurry
2) ticket office =booking office 售票处
(booking n. [c, u] (esp. BrE)预订 book n. [c] 书;书籍 v. (esp. BrE) 预约,预订)
box office n. the place at a theatre, cinema/movie theatre, etc. where the tickets are sold(戏院、剧院的)售票处;票房:(电影、戏等)卖座的,卖得好 a box-office success
e.g. 那部电影十分卖座。The movie has been a huge box-office success (=many people have been to see it).
(box n. 1. [c] 盒子,箱子 2. [c] (剧院或法庭中的)专席 3. [c] 小亭,岗亭 e.g. 电话亭 the telephone box boxer [ˈbɔksə] n. 拳击手 boxing [ˈbɔksɪŋ] n. 拳击运动
Boxing Day n. [u, c] (BrE) the first day after Christmas Day that is not a Sunday. Boxing Day is official holiday in Britain. 节礼日(圣诞节后的第一个工作日。英国定为假日)在英国,圣诞节的次日,若是星期日,则顺延一日,惯例在此日赠送雇员,邮差等礼物。)
3) have=buy
5. 'I'm sorry, we've sold out,' the girl said. “对不起,票已售完。”那位姑娘说。
这句话中用了缩略形式I’m (=I am)和we’ve (=we have).缩略形式一般用于口语和非正式文体中。在正式文体中要避免使用。
I'm sorry./I am sorry.
We’ve sold out./We have sold out.
我什么时候能见到你?When’ll I see you?/ When will I see you?
我一会也呆不了了。I’ll not stay a moment longer./ I shall not stay a moment longer.
6. 'What a pity!' Susan exclaimed. “真可惜!”苏珊大声说。
1) pity [ˈpiti] n., v.
n.
1. [u] ~(for sb./sth.) a feeling of sympathy and sadness caused by the suffering and troubles of others同情;怜悯:
be full of pity for sb./be filled with pity for sb. 十分同情某人
feel pity for sb. 对…表示同情
e.g. 他对这个没有工作的人表示同情。He felt pity for the jobless man.
cry from pity 同情的泪水(因为同情而哭泣)
怜悯的表情/感觉 a look/feeling of pity
我同情她,就把钱借给了她。I took pity on her and lent her the money.
(formal)请你可怜可怜他吧。I beg you to have pity on him.
我用不着你可怜。I don’t want your pity.
2. [sing.]a ~ (that…) / a ~ (to do sth.) used to show that you are disappointed about sth.(用于表示失望)遗憾,可惜:
e.g. 你不能再多停留些时间,真是遗憾。It’s a pity that you can’t stay longer.
-“我把东西弄丢了!” “I’ve lost it!”
-“哎呀,真可惜。” “Oh, what a pity.”(口语中what a pity!=What a shame!多遗憾啊!)
真遗憾,她没有早点告诉我。What a pity that she didn’t tell me earlier.
你要是现在放弃,那就太可惜了。It would be a great pity if you gave up now.
It is a pity.这是一个遗憾。/非常遗憾。It is a thousand pities.
v. (pities, pitying, pitied, pitied) (not used in the progressive tenses不用于进行时)to feel sorry for sb. because of their situation; to feel pity for sb.同情;怜悯;可怜
e.g. [vn] 他同情那些没有工作的人。He pitied people who were out of work.
[vn-ing] 她不得不加班加点工作,真让我同情。I pity her having to work such long hours.
pitiful [ˈpɪtɪfl] adj. 1.deserving or causing you to feel pity令人同情的;可怜的
e.g. 这匹马看上去可怜兮兮的。The horse was a pitiful sight (=because it was very thin or sick.).
2. not deserving respect卑微的;卑鄙的
pitiable [ˈpɪtiəbl] adj. (formal)
1. deserving or causing you to feel pity值得同情的;可怜的
e.g. 处境可怜 to be in a pitiable state
2. not deserving respect卑劣的;卑鄙的
pitiless [ˈpɪtɪlɪs] adj.
1. showing no pity; cruel冷酷的;无情的:e.g. 残忍的杀手 a pitiless killer
2. very harsh or severe, and never ending严酷而无尽的
(harsh [hɑ:ʃ] adj. 残酷的;严酷的;严厉的severe [siˈviə] adj. 严峻的;严厉的;剧烈的;苛刻的)
2) exclaim [ikˈskleim] v. (written) to say sth. suddenly and loudly, especially because of strong emotion or pain (由于强烈的情感或痛苦而)惊叫,呼喊:
e.g. “这不公平!”他气愤地喊道。 “It isn’t fair!” he exclaimed angrily.
[v] 看到这情景,她瞪着眼睛,高兴地大叫起来。
She opened her eyes and exclaimed in delight at the scene.(delight n. [u] 高兴;愉快;快乐)
她大声地说:“多遗憾啊!” “What a pity!” She exclaimed.
惊叫 to exclaim in astonishment (astonish v. 使十分惊讶;使大为惊奇;使吃惊)
高兴地大叫 to exclaim in delight
[also v that]
shout v. to say sth. in a loud voice; to speak loudly/angrily to sb.呼喊,大声说话,吼叫,叫,嚷 shout out to make a loud noise吼出声来/喊出声来
e.g. 你不要那么大声喊,我能听清你的话。Don’t shout at me, I can hear you all right.
shout for joy / shout with joy大声欢呼/大声呼喊
scream v. to give a loud, high cry, because you are hurt, frightened, excited, etc.(因伤痛、害怕、激动等)尖叫、惨叫、惊叫
e.g. 有人在喊救命。Someone was screaming for help.
她恐怖地大声喊叫。She screamed in a fright.
exclamation [ˌekskləˈmeɪʃn] n. 感叹;感叹语;感叹词
e.g. 他发出一声惊叹。He gave an exclamation of surprise.
exclamation mark (esp. BrE) (AmE usually exclamation point) 感叹号
7. Just then, a man hurried to the ticket office. 正在这时,一个男子匆匆奔向售票处。
Just then: just at the moment
8. 'Can I return these two tickets?' he asked. “我可以退掉这两张票吗?”他问。
return
V. 1. [v] ~(to…) (from…) to come or go back from one place to another回来;回去;返回
e.g. (1) 你什么时候回到伦敦? When are you returning to London?
(2)你太太什么时候下班回来?What time does your wife return from work?
2. ~sb./sth.(to sb./sth.) to bring, give, put or send sth. back to sb./sth.带回;送回;放回;归还,退还
e.g. [vn]我准备去图书馆还书。 I’m going to the library to return my books.
[vn-adj]我原封不动地将信退了回去。I returned the letter unopened.
3. vi. ~(to sth.) to start discussing a subject you were discussing earlier, or doing an activity you were doing earlier.重提;重新开始做:
e.g. 他在报告中后来又提到这个话题。He returns to this topic later in the report.
医生也许会允许她下周回去上班。The doctor may allow her to return to work next week.
4. vt. to do or give sth. to sb. because they have done or given the same to you first; to have the same feeling about sb. that they have about you回报;回应:
e.g. 该我们回请他们了。It’s time we returned their invitation.
他太忙,不能给她回电话。He was too busy to return her call.
n. 1. [c;u (from, to)] 返回,回来;恢复
e.g. 我们盼望你从美国回来。We look forward to your return from America.
2. [u] 归还;回报
e.g. 若能及时将图书归还图书馆,我们将不胜感激。
We would appreciate the prompt return of books to the library.
注:prompt adj. 1. done without delay立即;迅速的;及时的 2.(人)[not before noun]敏捷的;迅速的;准时的v. 促使;导致;激起
9. 'Certainly,' the girl said. “当然可以,”那姑娘说。
10. I went back to the ticket office at once. 我马上又回到售票处。
at once 固定短语,可译为“立刻”、“马上”:
e.g. 听到这消息,他立刻就回家了。When he heard the news, he went home at once.
请立刻就来。Please come at once.
11. 'Could I have those two tickets please?' I asked. “我可以买那两张票吗?”我问。
could虽然是can的过去式,但在这里并不表示过去,而是指现在。用could提出请求或建议比can要委婉。
12. 'Certainly,' the girl said, 'but they're for next Wednesday's performance. Do you still want them?'“当然可以,不过这两张票是下星期三的,您是否还要呢?”
the tickets for next Wednesday's performance 下周三演出的票 所有格表时间
e.g. 今天的报纸 today’s newspaper
13. 'I might as well have them,' I said sadly. “我还是买下的好,”我垂头丧气地说。
1) may as well/might as well + do意思是“还是…好,不妨”较勉强,不是非常乐意,不得不选一个。两者一般可以互换。
e.g. –Do you think you’ll pass the exam? 你认为你会通过考试吗?
--I’ll never pass. I might as well give up.我决不会通过考试的,我还是放弃的好。
--Do you want to come to the cinema with me? 你想和我一起看电影去吗?
--I haven’t got anything to do, so I may as well / might as well come with you.
我没什么事可做,还是和你一块去吧。
as well 也,同样地。 副词短语,相当于too的含义。表示此义时,通常用于句末,间或也可用于主语之后,如:
e.g. 空气对动物必不可少,对植物也同样。
Air is necessary for animals, it is necessary for plants as well.
我也要
展开阅读全文