资源描述
看 Big Bang Theory 学英语第一季 6集:The Middle Earth Paradigm
paradigm:例,模范
-Rajesh: Okay, if no one else will say I will. We really suck at paintball.
suck:【差劲的】 paintball:彩弹球
好吧,如果没人说那就我来说。我们在彩弹比赛中的表现实在太差了!
-Howard: That was absolutely humiliating.
absolutely:绝对地,完全地 humiliate:使…丢脸
真是太丢人了。
-Leonard: Oh, come on! Some battles you win, some battles you lose.
battle:战争
好啦!有时候你会赢,有时候你会输嘛。
-Rajesh: Yes, but you don't have to lose to Kyle Burnsteen Bar Mitzvah Party.
(Hebrew: "son of the commandment"; which a Jewish boy automatically becomes upon
reaching the age of 13)
Hebrew:希伯来人 commandment:戒律 Jewish:犹太人的 automatically:自动地
是的,但你没必要输给一帮凯恩斯威尔的Bar Mitzvah (希伯来人: "son of the commandment"; 一个生来就是13岁的犹太男孩)。
-Leonard: I think we have to acknowledge, those was some fairly savage pre-adolescent Jews.
acknowledge:承认 fairly:相当地 savage:野性的 pre-adolescent:青春期前期的 Jew:犹太人
我想我们必须明白,他们是一些相当野性的青春期前期犹太人。
[they lost to a group of kids...]
[他们输给了一群小孩子...]
-Sheldon: No, we were annihilated by our own incompetence and the inability of some people to follow the chain of command.
annihilate:消减,废止 incompetence:无能力 inability:无能 chain of command:指挥系统
不,我们是被自己的不在状态弄死的,有些人没能力跟上指令。
-Leonard: Sheldon, let it go!
let it go:放手吧
Sheldon, 让它去吧!
-Sheldon: No, I want to talk about the fact that Wolowitz shot me in the back.
shot:射击 back:后背
不,我想说的事实是,Wolowitz射了我的背!
-Howard: I shot you for good reason. You were leading us into disaster!
disaster:灾难
我射你有很好的理由。你把我们领向了灾难!
-Sheldon: I was giving clear, concise orders.
concise:简明的
我给出了清晰而又简明的指令
-Leonard: You hid behind a tree yelling, "Get the kid in the yarmulke! Get the kid in the
yarmulke!" (a small circular cap worn by Jewish men)
hid:藏 yelling:大叫 yarmulke:(犹太男子在祷告,学习,吃饭时戴的)圆顶小帽
circular:圆形的
你躲在一棵树后面叫“对付那个带亚莫克便帽的小子,对付那个带亚莫克便帽的小子” (犹太男子或男孩戴的一种无边便帽)
-Penny: Oh, hey, guys.
哦,嘿,朋友们
-Men:Oh, hello. Hey.
哦, 你好. 嘿.
-Howard: Morning, madam.
早,小姐.
-Penny: So, how was paintball? Did you have fun?
那么, 彩弹怎么样? 你们玩得开心伐?
-Sheldon: Sure, if you consider being fragged by your own troops fun.
frag:蓄意杀伤 troop:部队
当然,如果你觉得被自己队伍的人杀掉很有趣的话。
You clear space on your calendar - there will be an inquiry.
calendar:日程表 inquiry:调查,询问
把你们的日程安排好,有事要找你们
-Penny: Hey, I'm having a party on Saturday, so if you guys are around, you should come on by.
周六我这儿有一个聚会,如果你们到时候在这里的话,你们应该过来
-Leonard: A party?
一个聚会?
-Penny: Yeah.
是的.
-Howard: A... "boy-girl" party?
一个... "男孩-女孩" 聚会?
-Penny: Well, there will be boys and there will be girls and it is a party, so...
对, 会有些男孩子。
而且也会有女孩,并且它是一个聚会,所以......
It'll be a bunch of my friends. We'll have some beer, do a little dancing...
到时有些我的朋友来。我们会喝点啤酒,跳跳舞之类......
-Sheldon: Dancing?
跳舞?
-Leonard: Yeah, I don't know, Penny...
是的, 我不知道, Penny...
-Sheldon: The thing is, we're not...
事情是,我们不...
-Leonard: No, we're really more of a... No.
不,我们更多是... 不.
But thanks. Thanks for thinking of us.
think of:【想着】
但谢谢。谢谢你邀请我们。
-Penny: Are you sure? Come on, it's Halloween.
Halloween:万圣节
你确定伐? 来吧,是万圣节嘛。
-Sheldon: A Halloween party?
万圣节聚会?
-Howard: As in... costumes?
costume:服装
是不是......需要化妆的那种?
-Penny: Well, yeah.
嗯, 是吧.
-Leonard: Is there a theme?
theme:主题
有没有什么主题?
-Penny: Uh... Yeah, Halloween.
恩... 是啊, 万圣节.
-Sheldon: Yes, but are the costumes random, or genre-specific?
random:随意,任意 genre:类型 specific:特殊的
是的, 但是是随意装扮,还是有什么特别的类型?
-Penny: As usual, I'm not following.
as usual:像往常一样
跟往常一样,我不太明白。
-Leonard: He's asking if we can come as anyone from science fiction, fantasy...
science fiction:科幻 fantasy:幻想
他是在问我们是否能打扮成科幻或非现实中的人物......
-Penny: Sure.
当然
-Sheldon: What about comic books?
comic book:连环漫画册
那漫画书呢?
-Penny: Fine.
可以啊。
-Sheldon: Anime?
anime:日本动漫
日本动漫?
-Penny: of course.
当然当然。
-Sheldon: TV, film, D&D, manga, Greek gods, Roman gods, Norse gods...
D&D:【Dungeons & Dragons的缩写, 一个角色扮演游戏】 Greek:古希腊的 Roman:古罗马的 Norse:古挪威的
电视,电影,古希腊众神, 古罗马众神, 古挪威众神...
-Penny: Anything you want! Okay? Any costume you want.
什么都可以! 好吗?什么角色都可以。
-Penny: Bye.
再见。
-Howard: Gentlemen, to the sewing machines.
sewing machine:缝纫机
先生们,找缝纫机。
-Leonard: I'll get it. Oh, no!
我来开。噢, 不!
-Sheldon: Oh, no!
噢, 不!
-Rajesh: Make way for the fastest man alive! Oh, no!
alive:活着的
给最快的人一条路走! 噢, 不!
-Sheldon: See, this is why I wanted to have a costume meeting.
看到吧,所以我希望开一个关于扮演角色的会
-Leonard: We all have other costumes. We can change.
我们都有别的扮演角色——我们可以换的。
-Rajesh: Or we could walk right behind each other all night
right behind:【在…正后方】
或者我们可以整晚跟在每个人后面走
-Rajesh: and look like one person going really fast.
看上去像是一个人走得非常快
-Howard: No, no, no. It's a boy-girl party, this Flash runs solo.
Flash:【闪电侠】 solo:单独的
不, 不, 不.这是一个男孩女孩聚会, 但闪电侠独来独往。
-Leonard: Okay. How about this? Nobody gets to be The Flash. We all change. Agreed?
好吧,那这个怎么样? 没人扮演闪电侠. 我们都改,同意吗?
-Men: Agreed.
同意
-Leonard: I call Frodo!
我演Frodo!
-Men: Damn!
damn:该死的
该死!
-Rajesh: Sorry I'm late, but my hammer got stuck in the door on the bus.
hammer:锤,榔头 stick:被卡住的
对不起我迟到了,但我的锤子被公车车门夹住了。
-Leonard: You went with Thor?
Thor:【古挪威雷神,有锤,能产生闪电】
你扮演雷神?
-Rajesh: What? Just because I'm Indian I can't be a Norse god?
什么?就因为我是印度人我就不能是雷神?
No-no-no. Raj has to be an Indian god. That's racism.
racism:种族主义
不不不. Raj才是印度的神. 那是种族主义
I mean, look at Wolowitz.
我的意思是,看看Wolowitz.
He's not English, but he's dressed like Peter Pan.
他不是英国人, 但他穿得像Peter Pan.
Sheldon is neither sound nor light, but he's obviously the Doppler effect.
Doppler effect:【多普勒效应】
Sheldon既没声音也没光,但他显然是多普勒效应。
-Howard: I'm not Peter Pan.
我不是Peter Pan.
-Howard: I'm Robin Hood.
我是Robin Hood.
-Rajesh: Really? Because I saw Peter Pan, and you're dressed exactly like Cathy Rigby.
Cathy Rigby:【1974年第一个扮演Peter Pan的女演员】
是么?因为我看过Peter Pan, 而你穿得跟Cathy Rigby一模一样.
She was a little bigger than you, but it's basically the same look, man.
Basically:基本上的
她比你稍大一些, 但基本上是一样的,朋友。
-Leonard: Sheldon there's something I want to talk to you about before we go to the party.
Sheldon,在去聚会之前我有些话想跟你说。
-Sheldon: I don't care if anybody gets it.
我不介意有人知道。
I'm going as the Doppler effect.
我准备扮演多普勒效应。
-Leonard: No, it's not that.
不,不是指那个。
-Sheldon: If I have to, I can demonstrate. Mew~
demonstrate:示范
如果有必要,我可以示范。Mew~
-Leonard: Terrific.
terrific:极好的
完美.
This party is my first chance for Penny to see me in the context of her social group, and...
in the context of:在…的背景下 social group:社会团体
这次聚会时我第一次有机会让Penny看到我。在她的社交圈里,所以
-Leonard: and I need you not to embarrass me tonight.
embarrass:使…困窘
我要你别在今晚丢我的脸。
-Sheldon: What exactly do you mean by "embarrass you"?
别丢你的脸是什么意思?
-Leonard: For example, tonight, no one needs to know that my middle name is Leakey.
比如说,今晚没人需要知道我的中间名是Leakey。
-Sheldon: But there's nothing embarrassing about that.
但这没什么丢脸的。
Your father worked with Louis Leakey, a great anthropologist.
anthropologist:人类学家
你爸爸为Louis Leakey工作, 一个伟大的人类学者。
Had nothing to do with your bed-wetting.
have nothing to do with sth.: 和…没有关系 bed-wetting:尿床
跟你尿床一点关系也没有。
-Leonard: All I'm saying is that this party is the perfect opportunity for Penny to see me as a member of her peer group, a potential close friend, and perhaps more.
perfect :完美的 opportunity:机会 potential:潜在的
我想说的是这个聚会是个很好的机会让Penny把我看成她交往群中的一员一个潜在的密友,或更进一步。
And I don't want to look like a dork.
dork:笨蛋,呆子
所以我不想被看成是一个蠢蛋。
-Howard: Just a heads up, fellas. If anyone gets lucky, I've got a dozen condoms in my quiver.
fella:伙计,伙伴 Condoms:避孕套 quiver:箭筒
打起精神,伙计们。如果有谁走运,在我的箭筒里有一打避孕套
-Penny: Hey, guys.
嘿, 男孩们.
-Leonard: Hey. Sorry we're late.
嘿. 对不起我们来晚了。
-Penny: Late? It's 7:05.
晚? 现在才7:05.
-Sheldon: You said the party starts at 7:00.
你说这聚会是7:00开始.
-Penny: Yeah, I mean, when you start a party at 7:00, no one shows up at, you know, 7:00.
show up:露面
是的,我的意思是,当你说7:00开始一个聚会时,没人会, 你知道, 7:00准时出现的.
-Sheldon: It's 7:05.
可现在是7:05了.
-Penny: Yes. Yes, it is.
是的. 是的, 是的。
Okay. Well, um, come on in.
好吧. 行了,嗯, 进来吧.
-Howard: So, what, are all the girls in the bathroom?
所以, 那么, 是不是所有的女孩子都在洗手间里?
-Penny: Probably, but in their own homes.
可能是, 但是是在她们自己家的.
-Sheldon: So, what time does the costume parade start?
parade:游行,检阅
那么, 到底什么时候开始角色提名?
-Penny: The parade?
提名?
-Sheldon: Yeah, so the judges can give out the prizes for best costume.
是啊, 然后评判人可以颁出最佳角色扮演奖
You know, most frightening, most authentic, most accurate visualization of a scientific principle.
frightening:令人恐惧的 authentic:可靠的 visualization:清楚地呈现 scientific principle:科学原理
比如,最令人恐惧奖,最具真实感奖,最准确科学原理视觉表现奖
-Penny: Oh, Sheldon, I'm sorry, but there aren't going to be any parades or judges or prizes.
No! 哦, Sheldon, 不好意思,但今天不会有任何提名或者评判或者颁奖
-Sheldon: This party is just going to suck.
suck:糟糕的
这个聚会正变得无趣
-Penny: Come on, it's going to be fun, and you all look great. I mean, look at you, Thor, and, oh, Peter Pan. That's so cute.
不! 别这样,会很有趣的,你们都看上去很不错我是说,看看你,雷神,而你, 哦,Peter Pan. 真可爱。
-Leonard: Actually, Penny, he's Robin Hood.
事实上, Penny, 他是Robin Hood.
-Howard: I'm Peter Pan.
我是Peter Pan.
And I got a handful of pixie dust with your name on it.
a handful of :少量的 pixie:小精灵
我有些带着你名字的精灵尘
-Penny: No, you don't. Hey, what's Sheldon supposed to be?
suppose:猜想会
不,你没有。嘿, Sheldon应该算什么?
-Leonard: Oh, he's the Doppler effect.
噢, 他是多普勒效应
-Sheldon: Yes. It's the apparent change in the frequency of a wave caused by relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer.
apparent:明显的 frequency:频率 wave:波动 relative motion:相对运动 source:来源 observer:观察者
是的. 是一种波动频率的显著变化由波源和观察者的相对运动引起
-Penny: Oh, sure, I see it now. The Doppler effect.
噢, 当然, 我现在明白了.多普勒效应.
All right, I got to shower.
好了,我要去洗个澡
You guys... make yourselves comfortable.
comfortable:舒适的
你们,随便玩吧
-Leonard: Okay.
行
-Sheldon: See? People get it.
看见了吗?别人能懂.
-Rajesh: By Odin's beard, this is good Chex Mix.
奥丁的胡子,这是不错的早餐混合物.
-Howard: No, thanks. Peanuts.
不,谢谢. 坚果.
I can't afford to swell up in these tights.
afford to do sth.: 买得起某物;承担 swell up:膨胀 tights:紧身衣
太紧了,我没法弄松
-Sheldon: I'm confused. If there's no costume parade, what are we doing here?
我糊涂了。如果没有角色扮演提名,我们在这干嘛?
-Leonard: We're socializing, meeting new people.
socialize:社交
我们在社交,认识新朋友。
-Sheldon: Telepathically?
telepathically:心灵感应地
心灵感应?
-Penny: Oh, hey, when did you get here?
哦, 嗨, 你们什么时候来的?
Penny is wearing the worst Catwoman costume I've ever seen.
Penny是我见过的打扮最糟的猫女
And that includes Halle Berry's.
也包括Halle Berry的打扮
-Leonard: She's not Catwoman. She's just a generic cat.
generic:普通的,一般的
她不是猫女,她就是一只普通的猫。
-Sheldon: And that's the kind of sloppy costuming which results from a lack of rules and competition.
sloppy:【马虎】 a lack of:缺少 rules:规章 competition:竞争
这种角色扮演太马虎了,因为缺乏规则和竞争
-Howard: Hey, guys, check out the sexy nurse.
喂, 伙计们, 看那个性感护士
I believe it's time for me to turn my head and cough.
turn my head:晕头转向(得意忘形) cough: 咳嗽
我想是到了我该转头咳嗽的时候了。
-Rajesh: What is your move?
你干嘛这么动?
-Howard: I'm going to use the mirror technique.
technique:技术
我准备用镜像技术
She brushes her hair back, I brush my hair back...
brush:梳
她向后甩头,我也向后甩头
She shrugs, I shrug. Subconsciously she's thinking,
shrug:耸肩 subconsciously:下意识的
她,我也耸肩,她会想
We're in sync. We belong together.
sync:同步
我们是同步的。我们属于彼此。
-Leonard: Where do you get this stuff?
你从哪学来的?
-Howard: You know, psychology journals, internet research, and there's this great show on VH-1 about how to pick up girls.
Psychology:心理学
告诉你, 心理学杂志, 互联网研究,在VH-1上有个很好的节目关于怎么去钓姑娘的
-Rajesh: If only I had his confidence!
confidence:信心
如果我有他的自信就好了.
I have such difficulty speaking to women, or around women... or at times even effeminate men.
have difficulty doing:有困难 effeminate:女人气的
我跟女人说话太难了. 或是被女人围着...... 或只是些女里女气的男人.
-Howard: If that's a working stethoscope, maybe you'd like to hear my heart skip a beat?
stethoscope:听诊器
如果有个听诊器,也许你想听听我已经停止的心跳.
-Woman A: No, thanks.
不。谢谢。
-Howard: No, seriously, you can. I have transient idiopathic arrhythmia.
transient idiopathic arrhythmia:暂时性突发心律失常
不, 认真的说, 你是可以的. 我有暂时性突发心律失常.
-Leonard: I want to get to know Penny's friends, I just...
我想认识些Penny的朋友, 我就是...
I don't know how to talk to these people.
我就是不知道该怎么和这些人说话
-Sheldon: Well, I actually might be able to help.
其实,实际上我可以提供些帮助。
-Leonard: How so?
怎么做?
-Sheldon: Like Jane Goodall observing the apes, I initially saw their interactions as confusing and unstructured.
Jane Goodall:【英国生态学研究者, 因她长期对黑猩猩的研究而闻名】 initially:最初的 interactions:互相作用 confusing:使人困惑 unstructured:未组织的
就像Jane Goodall 观察大猩猩, 一开始我看到他们的交互是令人困惑和杂乱的。
But patterns emerge.
emerge:显示出来
但模式开始显现出来。
They have their own language, if you will.
他们有他们自己的语言, 如果你想了解。
-Leonard: Go on.
继续.
-Sheldon: Well, it seems that the newcomer approaches the existing group with the greeting, "How wasted am I?" which is met with an approving chorus of, Dude.
newcomer:新来的人 approach:靠近 greeting:招呼 wasted: 浪费的;未有效利用的【俚】喝醉的 approving:赞许的 chorus:齐声说道 Dude:花花公子
好,看起来当新来者接近已存在的群体时。会这样打招呼,“我是不是看上去很醉了?”
然后会听到很多赞许的声音,"花花公子".
-Leonard: Then what happens?
然后呢?
-Sheldon: That's as far as I've gotten.
我只了解这些。
-Leonard: This is ridiculous.
ridiculous:荒谬的。
真是莫名其妙
I'm jumping in.
我要加入进去了。
-Sheldon: Good luck.
祝你好运。
-Leonard: No, you're coming with me.
不,你跟着我。
-Sheldon: Oh, I hardly think so.
不,我想还是不要了。
-Leonard: Come on.
来吧
-Sheldon: Aren't you afraid I'll embarrass you?
你不是怕我让你丢脸?
-Leonard: Yes, but I need a wing man.
wing man:【一个帮助朋友接近女生的人】
是的,但我需要一个翅膀男。
-Sheldon: All right, but if we're going to use flight metaphors,
metaphors:隐喻
好吧,但如果我们准备用飞行做比喻的话。
I'm much more suited to being the guy from the FAA analyzing wreckage.
wreckage:失事
我更适合成为FAA分析失事人员。
-Woman B:Ah, hi.
啊, 嗨..
-Sheldon: hi.
嗨。
-Leonard: hello.
你好.
-Woman B:So what are you supposed to be?
那么你是什么?
-Sheldon: Me? I'll give you a hint.
hint:暗示
我? 我给你点暗示.
Mew~
Mew~
-Woman B:A choo-choo train?
choo-choo:火车发出的噗噗声
一个火车头?
-Sheldon: Close!
差不多了。
Mew~
Mew~
-Woman B:A brain damaged choo-choo train?
一个脑壳坏掉的火车头?
-Woman C:How wasted am I?
我是不是看上去很醉?
-Sheldon: Mew~
Mew~
-Woman D: I still don't get it.
我还是不知道.
-Sheldon: I'm the Doppler effect.
我是多普勒效应。
-Woman D: Okay, if that's some sort of learning disability,
learning disability:无学习能力
好了,如果那算是什么学习障碍,
I think it's very insensitive.
Insensitive:感觉迟钝的
我觉得这很难对上.
-Leonard: Why don't you just tell people you're a zebra?
zebra:斑马
为什么不直接告诉大家你是头斑马?
-Sheldon: Why don't you just tell people you're one of the seven dwarves?
dwarves:矮子
为什么不直接告诉人们你是七个小矮人之一?
-Leonard: Because I'm Frodo.
因为我是Frodo.
-Sheldon: Yes, well, I'm the Doppler effect.
是的,那么,我是多普勒效应.
-Leonard: Oh, No.
哦, 不.
-Sheldon: What?
什么?
-Leonard: That's Penny's ex-boyfriend.
那是Penny的前男友
-Sheldon: What do you suppose he's doing here?
你觉得他来这里干嘛?
Besides disrupting the local gravity field.
disrupt:使…瓦解 gravity field:重力场
除了扰乱本地重力场.
-Leonard: If he were any bigger, he'd have moons orbiting him.
orbiting:轨道运行
如果他再大些,就能让月亮绕着他转了。
-Sheldon: Oh, snap.
哦, 干脆.
So, I guess we'll be leaving now.
所以,我想我们该走了.
-Leonard: Why
展开阅读全文